"Sustainable Forestry" is a thematic exchange launched after observing that there were no existing networks promoting exchanges on sustainable forestry for practices done by civil society.
The ultimate aim of the Forum Synergies project is to increase the capacity and ability of individuals, NGOs, local and EU governments to deliver forestry management that is economically, socially and environmentally sustainable.
Read our Action Sheet for more information on Sustainable Forestry
4 key principles
The two first workshops (March 2016 UK, November 2016, SRB) established and confirmed 4 key principles which serve as basis for further discussions during upcoming events and offer a guideline for final conclusions.
- A holistic respect for the health of woodlands and forests as natural organisms and systems, which have a validity and even sanctity in their own right, regardless of human intervention
- A sense of stewardship of forests on behalf of humankind now and in the future, rather than selfish or short-term exploitative use of forests
- A sense of communal responsibility for, and pride in, the forests; and of fairness in the provision and allocation of forest-based benefits and resources
- A global perspective, based on care for all the world’s forests and on awareness of the fragility of global ecosystems and climate.
State of the art: In progress
Partner: EuCAN (UK), Ibar Development Organisation (SRB)
Portfolio on the situation of forestry and sustainable forest management in different European regions and countries:
- Fact Sheet on Forests and Woodlands in England
- Fact Sheet on Forests in Western Balkan
- Fact Sheet on Forests in Estonia
Documents related to this thematic exchange:
- EU renewable energy policy and the pressure this is putting on forests
- Gemer Region Forest Owners Association, a private organisation promoting the legitimate interests of private forest owners in Slovakia
- Natura 2000 communication between stakeholders and share of close-to-nature forest management experiences in Hungary
- The National Forest Company, one of the biggest environmental initiatives creating and managing woodlands in the UK
- Toi l’arbre, a foundation to enhance the well-being of trees and landscapes in France.
- Two publicly-owned woods rescued from neglect in Beaminster, Dorset, England, UK
- Use of wooden biomass in two municipalities in Serbia
- [EXP] Coed Cymru, helping Welsh landowners to manage native woodlands sustainably, for environmental and economic gain
- [EXP] Devon Hedge Group, an example of partnership of local bodies to protect and promote Devon’s world class hedges (UK)
- [EXP] National Forest Company (NFC) – an exemplar of sustainability in all its aspects
- [EXP] Network of Forestry alternatives, bringing together different actors in the favour of ecosystem-friendly forest management in France.
- [EXP] Oxfordshire Woodfuel Programmes “Logs for Labour”, an exchange between volunteers and woodland managers in UK
- [EXP] Small woodland keepers in the UK
- [EXP] Supporting the associations of Private Forest Owners in South East Europe
- [MoI] « Create a Climate for Peace », a programme supporting activists in taking action for sustainable living and climate justice
- [MoI] Forest conservation and executing national law with regard to biodiversity
- [MoI]« Créer un climat pour la paix », un programme de soutien aux militants pour une vie durable et une justice climatique
- Fact Sheet “Forests and Woodlands in England” - 2016
- Fact Sheet “Forests and Woodlands in Western Balkan” - 2016
- Report - preparatory meeting of Forum Synergies Sustainable Forestry group - 13 January 2012, St. Michel l’Observatoire, France
- Report of 1st Workshop on Sustainable Forest Management, 17-20 March 2016, England, UK
- Report on 2nd Workshop on Sustainable Forest Management 2016, Tara National Park, (SRB)